Tuesday, October 18th, 2011
By Jason Earle Google+
When you close up a house, whether it’s at the beach, in the mountains, or in a development, things start to happen that weren’t happening when people were there. Humidity rises and falls with the weather, and when it rises it gives rise to mold growth in places you wouldn’t expect in an occupied home.
Why does this happen? It’s primarily because you’ve decided to save money by turning off the heat and/or AC. This turns the house into an incubator for mold. Think of a sandwich in a plastic bag left outdoors. We published an article on this topic in last summer’s edition of our seasonal magazine, Habitat Quarterly. Here’s a snippet:
The problem lies in the fact that the house gets closed up when not in use and in the interest of saving money on utility bills, the heat is turned down or the air conditioning is turned off. At first blush, this seems like a prudent thing to do. Why waste money heating or cooling an empty place?
Here’s why: One mold remediation project often costs way more than a year’s worth of utility bills, often more than several years. Plus, you’ll find the odor has infiltrated your upholstered furniture, rugs, carpets, drapes. It will all have to go.
What’s the solution? Dehumidifiers and minimum heat and AC. You’ll find the details in our repost of the article on 1800gotmold.com here.
Leave a Comment