Scott L. Kay, Princeton, NJ, M.D., F.A.C.S.
I am writing you in hopes that this information may rescue one of your patients, as it did mine.
I am an otolaryngologist who had the pleasure of taking care of a blonde haired, blue eyed, beautiful 5-year-old little girl who was constantly sick. She had a severe upper respiratory infection, pansinusitis and asthma. At some point, her mother came to the realization that she might be allergic to something in the house that they were living in. She made the dramatic decision to move out of the house.
They lived with the grandfather for a short period of time, and during that time, the child did remarkably well. Her sinusitis and asthma cleared. Her parents bought a brand new house, which they built themselves. Within weeks of moving into the new house, the little girl began to develop the same symptoms all over again. Her mother became frantic and desperate, not knowing what the problem was this time.
I had heard about Oreo, the mold-sniffing dog on television, and given the prior history, I thought it might be a good idea for her to seek out this form of investigation. Little did I know, Oreo and his owner, Jason Earle, were located in my own town of Princeton, New Jersey? When Jason showed up with his dog, he identified a stairway that had been built with mold-infested wood. Once this was removed, the little girl’s health was restored.
This whole thing sounds too good to be true, but I can assure you that this is exactly what happened. It may be hard to identify your patient who would benefit from this type of service, but indoor mold growth should always be a consideration in the workup of chronic upper respiratory tract infections and chronic illness that does not have an apparent cause or remedy.
Leave a Comment